Admission | Electives | Certificate Programs
MSW Admission Requirements
How to apply
How to Apply
The School of Social Work welcomes applications from qualified individuals seeking admission into the MSW program and encourages applications from minority candidates and individuals with disabilities. The deadline for receipt of completed admission materials is
March 1 Advanced Standing & Distance Education Advanced Standing
March 31 Full time, Part time and Distance Education part time
Note: Applicants applying to either MSW program online need to select the Baton Rouge campus as the location when completing the graduate school online application. There is a selection for online, yet that online selection is not affiliated with the School of Social Work.
The GRE must be taken before the appropriate deadline date and all application material must be received by such date. Only applicants whose materials are complete will be considered for admission. A completed application is the application, letter of intent, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and transcripts. Personal interviews will be scheduled once the School has the completed application on file.
Applicants must apply for admission to the LSU Graduate School with supplemental materials submitted to the School of Social Work no later than March 1 or March 31. Students applying to the advanced standing program and the advanced year distance education program must apply to the Graduate School for the summer semester. Transfer students from another MSW program must apply as advanced standing and contact Associate Director Chiasson for further admission information. All other students should apply for the fall semester. An applicant should submit credentials following the instructions on the online Graduate School application form along with the School of Social Work supplemental materials.
The following required items are to be submitted online:
- The completed online LSU Graduate School application
- The required application fee and any applicable late fee paid online
- The "Letter of Intent” submitted online. Instructions for what is to be included in the Letter of Intent can be found as a supplemental download on the online application.
- Three letters of recommendation. The form can also be found as a supplemental download on the online application. Two recommendations come from college academic sources and one from work/volunteer source. If the form cannot be scanned and attached to the LSU Graduate School online application, applicants or recommends may mail it to the address on the form or fax to 225.578-1357 by the appropriate deadline. This form must be completed and returned to the School of Social Work by the appropriate deadline date. A letter may be attached to this form, but a letter alone will not suffice. You may send your letters of recommendation before you complete the online application. We will hold these letters until an applicant completes the online application.
- Current Resume
- One official copy of all transcripts in sealed envelopes to the LSU Graduate School, 114 David Boyd Hall, Baton Rouge, LA 70803. (all transcripts are required, whether or not credit was earned or is desired). Official transcripts of work taken at LSU are not required.
- One official copy of all transcripts in sealed envelopes to the LSU School of Social Work, 311 HP Long Fieldhouse, Baton Rouge, LA 70803 (all transcripts are required, whether or not credit was earned or is desired). Official transcripts of work taken at LSU are not required.
- A satisfactory score on the aptitude portion of the GRE. The School of Social Work will accept the highest score should an applicant take the exam numerous times. The LSU code for GRE reporting is R6373-5. LSU is an approved testing center. The GRE is administered electronically on a daily basis at testing centers in this country and abroad. Test applications may be obtained from the Graduate School at LSU, the GRE website at www.gre.org, graduate schools at most colleges and universities, or by writing to Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 955, Princeton, New Jersey 08540. The completed test application form and examination fee must reach Educational Testing Service approximately one month in advance of the test date. At least six weeks should be allowed for the examination results to reach LSU (less if the test is taken electronically).
- Financial statement (required only from international students without assistantships paying at least $7,700).
- For international applicants whose native language is not English, scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Applicants DO NOT need to submit a writing sample or program of study. Simply type N/A on this section of the online application.
The decision to admit is conditioned upon the applicant providing accurate and current information and updating this information as circumstances change. The act of application constitutes agreement that LSU may investigate the accuracy of the statements and data provided. Falsification, misrepresentation, or omission in application answers and supporting data may result in revocation or denial of admission.
Status of Application & Application Timeline
- The School of Social Work will notify applicants via email once Social Work has received the online graduate school application. The email will inform the applicant if any application items are still needed.
- The Graduate School has an on-line process for checking the status of Graduate School applications. Use your log in and password to view your status.
- Once the application is complete, the School of Social Work will arrange the personal interview via the email submitted by the applicant.. Advanced Standing interviews (BR campus and online) will be held March 18 and 19. All other programs will be held April 8-11. Students not receiving an interview by these dates need to contact the School immediately. Applicants will not be admitted without a personal interview since this is an integral part of our admissions review.
- After interviews are complete, the admissions committee will meet to make decisions.
- Target notification of acceptance dates: Advanced Standing--mid April. All other progarms--mid May. Applicants will be informed of acceptance decisions via email by the Graduate School followed up by a social work admission packet via US mail.
Online application must be made to the Graduate School